Wednesday, June 5, 2019

This man is not right


Male feminist professor apologizes for his and America’s ‘toxic masculinity’

The self-flagellation of liberal men continues . . . .
George Yancy, 58, is a professor of philosophy at Emory University. He received his Ph.D. from Duquesne University in 2005, “Whiteness and the return of the ‘Black body'” being his doctoral thesis. His interests in philosophy are critical philosophy of race, critical whiteness studies, African American philosophy, and philosophy of the body.
Yancy is also a self-described feminist. But in the wake of #MeToo and the Brett Kavanuagh controversy, Yancy admits he’s still a “sexist” in an op/ed in the New York Times, and invites other male feminists “who consider themselves ‘allies’ of women” to join him in self-flagellation and “publicly claim: I am sexist!”.
Below are excerpts from George Yancy’s op/ed, “#IAmSexist“:
Men, listen up….
[S]ilence has become the default stance of many men who consider themselves “allies” of women. But…staying out of it is no longer enough….
So, join me, with due diligence and civic duty, and publicly claim: I am sexist!
In fact, perhaps it is time that we lay claim to a movement — #IamSexist…as we take responsibility for our sexism, our misogyny, our patriarchy.
It is hard to admit we are sexist. I, for instance, would like to think that I possess genuine feminist bona fides, but who am I kidding? I am a failed and broken feminist. More pointedly, I am sexist. There are times when I fear for the “loss” of my own “entitlement” as a male. Toxic masculinity takes many forms. All forms continue to hurt and to violate women.
Yancy then gives these examples of his and American men’s “toxic masculinity”:
  • He “insisted” that his wife take his last name. She refused, saying that doing so is “a patriarchal practice”. He argued that her retaining her last name, which is her father’s last name, is also “patriarchal”. She argued back that her last name “is part of my identity” and offered a compromise that he rejected — that they both change their last names and adopt a new name. Yancy now admits that “I saw her as my property, to be defined by my name and according to my legal standing…. While this was not sexual assault, my insistence was a violation of her independence. I had inherited a subtle, yet still violent, form of toxic masculinity.”
  • He thinks “I should be thanked when I clean the house, cook, sacrifice my time,” which “are deep and troubling expectations that are shaped by male privilege, male power and toxic masculinity.”
  • Yancy tells men that even if they haven’t raped, sexually assaulted, sexually abused, and sexually harassed women like Harvey Weinstein, Charlie Rose, and Bill Cosby, “our claims of ‘sexual innocence’…is bullshit” because “we are collectively complicit with a sexist mind-set and a poisonous masculinity rooted in the same toxic male culture from which these men emerged”.
  • That “toxic male culture“, which Yancy calls “soul murder”, is one where:
    • Men unconsciously “engage in patriarchal thinking, which condones rape even though they may never enact it”.
    • Boys and men “have been programmed from birth on to believe that at some point they must be violent, whether psychologically or physically, to prove that they are men.”
    • Men are “taught to deny our feelings” and that “sexual vulnerability is weakness, not the province of ‘real men.'”
    • Men objectify women by looking at a girl’s butt.
    • Male are taught “early on” to “relegate” girls to “positions of prey”, like “meat” — “We chased; they ran. We were the pursuers; they were the pursued. Our objective was to ‘get them’.” This “dominant phallic” game upends the notion of “mutual consent”. And although “the girls played, they were not to blame.”
Yancy issues this apology to all women:
“If you are a woman reading this, I have failed you. Through my silence and an uninterrogated collective misogyny, I have failed you. I have helped and continue to help perpetuate sexism. I know about how we hold onto forms of power that dehumanize you only to elevate our sense of masculinity. I recognize my silence as an act of violence. For this, I sincerely apologize.
See also:

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6/06/2019

    I bet he is on the down low too....

    ReplyDelete