GLOCK: IS IT TIME TO CONQUER THE H-WORD TABOO BEFORE IT CONQUERS US?
While reading the book, The Nazis: A Warning from History by Laurence Rees, I was encouraged to finally take a deeper look at something that had been nagging me: the possible similarities between the current atmosphere in the U.S., and that of Germany in the 1920’s and 1930’s, leading up to World War II. Rees’ book is not an anti-Obama screed, as it was published in 1997, long before Barack Obama became a national figure. Hat-tip also to Allan Bullock’s Hitler (1962). Here are some parallels, in my humble opinion:
Then: “However, there is one thing I shall expect, namely that the country will give me the authority to immediately intervene and take personal charge whenever unconditional attention is not paid in the service of great and vital tasks.” --Chancellor Hitler to the German Reichstag, April 26, 1942
Now: “If Congress won’t act, I will.” --President Obama to the U.S. Congress, February 12, 2013
The phrase “working toward the Fuhrer” was first used in a February 21, 1934 speech by Werner Willikens, Germany’s State Secretary in the Ministry of Food. It refers to the phenomenon whereby the leader makes his wishes known, and then the administrative branch follows through without direct orders. This serves to fundamentally transform (sound familiar?) an entire society very quickly, while insulating the leader from responsibility for what goes wrong. It also partly explains how a person who spent a lot of time in cafes, napping, and watching movies could accomplish so much.
Similarly, President Obama is no workaholic. He loves to golf, go on extensive vacations, and host parties. And he has been on the road in campaign mode during his entire Presidency. So who is “working toward the President?” May I suggest the following: IRS, EPA, DHS, HHS, DOJ, DOD, NSA, DOE, NEA, SEIU and other union thugs, Occupy thugs, ACORN thugs, New Black Panther thugs, and just recently, the nation’s librarians and Obamacare Healthcare Exchange thugs. There are also hundreds of thousands of government workers whose jobs depend on loyalty to the President. Finally, there are tens of millions of unemployed citizens and illegal non-citizens whose free ride depends on loyalty to the President who unilaterally removed work as a requirement for food stamps, and who will soon make full benefits for illegal immigrants the law of the land.
“That is the miracle of our times: That you found me among so many millions. And that I found you is Germany’s fortune.”
Adolph Hitler, September 1936
“Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.”
Barack Obama, February 2008
We no longer have the luxury of avoiding the H-word. To continue to do so is to risk repeating history. Do not be fooled by the fact that Adolph Hitler’s and Barack Obama’s goals are diametric opposites – domination of others by one country, or subjugation of a country by others. The driving forces are very similar. The Germans had a Chancellor hell-bent on reversing the Versailles Treaty of 1918. The Americans have a President hell-bent on reversing the Constitution of 1789.
Fundamentally transforming a society against its will in a short period of time takes the same kind of tyrannical leadership, regardless of the long-term goal. One-party rule is necessary to effect such fundamental transformation, and the United States is inexorably marching in that direction today.
For the most part, Conservatives have been reacting to the news. President Obama has us back on our heels. Conservatives really need to become proactive, to get “ahead of the curve” by anticipating the President’s short-term agenda, and particularly his long-range goals. Here are five as I see them coming:
- An attack on the 22nd Amendment in order to extend the Obama agenda of fundamental transformation, if not his actual Presidency. This could be as simple as the next President appointing former President Obama to a newly-created position of influence. Or, the context of an attempt to subvert the 22nd Amendment may turn out to be, to the surprise of no one who pays attention, a “crisis” orchestrated to convince the populace that we should not “switch horses in the middle of the stream,” as when FDR was elected to a third and fourth term during World War II. For example, the “October surprise” in 2016 might be an “unforeseen health issue” that prevents the Democrat nominee from continuing. Such an unprecedented Constitutional crisis would call for unprecedented measures. Note: Current Democrat frontrunner Hillary Clinton will turn 69 in the fall of 2016. Barack Obama will be only 55.
- The rise of a “Civilian National Security Force”. On July 2, 2008, in a Colorado Springs speech, Barack Obama announced, “We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives we’ve set. We’ve got to have a civilian national security force that’s just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded.”
Excuse me, but WTF! Nevertheless, this comes as no surprise. President Obama is hollowing out the military. He backs rogue forces (ACORN thugs, SEIU thugs, other union thugs, Occupy thugs, New Black Panther thugs). He interferes with law enforcement (announcing that the Cambridge police “acted stupidly”), overseeing the DOJ’s deliberate racialization of the George Zimmerman – Trayvon Martin case, and having the DOJ stop the FBI interview with the Boston Marathon bomber.
He seeks to criminalize opposition press (James Rosen of FOX). He ignores Federal judges when they rule against him (regarding Obamacare, offshore drilling, and unilateral “recess” appointments to the NLRB). His DHS is buying up ammo like there’s no tomorrow (1,600,000,000 rounds so far, or 16,000 bullets for each of its 100,000 “peace officers.”). He’s into gun-running when it suits his purposes (Fast & Furious), and backs an Attorney General found to be In Contempt of Congress regarding this illegal activity.
The administration makes its will known so that the IRS, DHS, NSA, HHS, EPA, DOJ and public schools and libraries can carry out Obama’s political agenda without the President’s “fingerprints”. And now Obamacare Healthcare Exchanges are being set up in every State to collect everyone’s medical history and mental state.
Meanwhile, Obama’s Cabinet communicates with illegal email addresses to circumvent Freedom of Information Act inquiries. This has allowed the Presidential Cabinet to take over the Legislative Branch’s Constitutional authority regarding the creation and funding of Federal laws, to shake-down medical insurance companies to fund Obamacare, and to use domestic drones against farmers.
The only remaining question is: Exactly what combination of these forces (and others that we don’t know about yet) will comprise President Obama’s Civilian National Police Force? And what role will this civilian military force play in our society relative to what we now know of Hitler’s paramilitary and civilian forces: Sturmabteilung, a.k.a., S.A., Brownshirts, Stormtroopers (under Ernst Rohm); Schutzstaffel, a.k.a., S.S., Blackshirts, auxiliary police (under Heinrich Himmler); and Geheime Staatspolizei, a.k.a., Gestapo (under Hermann Goring)?
- The alignment of all societal organizations toward a one-party State. The Nazi’s called this “Gleichschaltung,” co-ordination, and it was largely accomplished between February and July of 1933, exactly eighty years ago. We are seeing it in the continued political and economic suppression and repression, aimed at forcing opposition politicians and organizations into the Democrats’ arms, retirement, or oblivion, and driving citizens with private sector jobs into the State’s arms in the form of welfare or public sector employment. Quintessential American values of innovation through hard work, passion, and creativity are being replaced by a populace whose ambition is to “game the system” by figuring out how to efficiently garner one’s housing, food, medical, and retirement benefits without having to leave the house.
- The achievement of a cashless economy will be the final step in the government’s take-over of our personal information and lives.
- The establishment of modern-day concentration camps - not physical, with walls and barbed wire, but virtual, as in “Concentration of Information”. When our every physical move, economic transaction, and electric communications can be tracked in real-time and stored indefinitely, we will indeed be living under house arrest. Game over.
One wonders at the many similarities between President Obama’s head-long drive to a one-party State and the rise of the Third Reich. During Hitler’s regime, British writer C.S. Lewis made the observation, “How monotonously alike all the great tyrants and conquerors have been: how gloriously different the saints.” This comes about not because tyrants study and learn from each other, but because that’s just what kind of people they are. For whatever reasons, a tyrant instinctively knows how to manipulate and control people.
All of this begs the final question: If the United States of America is indeed to be fundamentally transformed in our lifetime, then where should we go for the sake of our own children and grandchildren and their descendants? This might be the pinnacle question, the ultimate, classically American-spirited question, as this was the precise motivation and call-to- action of our Founding Fathers’ fathers: To find the land of opportunity, and to bring the family there.
Jeff Glock, former elementary school teacher and current hospital employee, resides in Forest Park, IL.