Friday, May 13, 2016

Chip on the Shoulder

Walking around with the chip

I held the door open for a black man at the Pancake House yesterday. Common courtesy, that's all it was. He didn't acknowledge my act or even make eye contact. This is not the first time it's happened and it's happening more and more. 

WTF is wrong with these people? I didn't do anything to them. Neither did my father or grandfather and I'm not going to apologize for having to run on on little sleep to my second "white-privilege" job.

I got to ask after all the government assistance and affirmative action,  when are they going to be ready to take over the reins of responsibility and get over it?


Origin of the expression:

This expression originated in the U.S. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the first recorded use was in 1830 in the Long Island Telegraphnewspaper: When two churlish boys were determined to fight, a chip would be placed on the shoulder of one, and the other demanded to knock it off at his peril. In this case a chip is a small piece of wood. A young boy who was angry about something and determined to fight would place a small chip of wood on his shoulder and challenge another person to knock it off his shoulder. When the chip was knocked off, it meant the opponent was ready and the fight would begin. It was his way of showing everyone how tough he was. Later, in 1855, the actual expression a chip on one’s shoulder appeared in print in the Weekly Oregonian newspaper: Leland, in his last issue, struts out with a chip on his shoulder, and dares Bush to knock it off. Nowadays, the chip is figurative: there’s no physical chip of wood on someone’s shoulder, he/she just acts like there is!

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/13/2016

    As long as the Uncle subsidizes then, never.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5/13/2016

    Not only have I experienced the same thing. I have also seen it the opposite way. You enter an establishment just about the same time as a black person who is slightly ahead of you. They let the door almost slam in your face! I know there are some people who are so unaware of their surroundings but many, many times it has happened to me just like that. You have to wonder. What I do when I get the "hate whitey" vibe is I go out of my way, (over the top) to be extra, extra, nice to them and continue to try to engage them in conversation if possible. It makes them more uncomfortable, and they either are forced to respond in a nice way, or expose their now overt rudeness. They look or feel stupid either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5/14/2016

      They are a mess.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous5/14/2016

      Yeah they are a mess mentally right now. Think about it. Worst unemployment since the Carter era for blacks, household income down, all after 8 years of their supposed savior Barack. They are very upset and angry right now but who can they point the finger at?

      Delete
  3. Anonymous5/14/2016

    40 black students at St. Ignatius high school had a sit in because of micro aggressions. This is tolerated? These kids are just head cases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5/14/2016

    I put all of this on Holder and Obama. The whole BLM and hands up don't shoot fiction should have been halted when it was determined that the aftermath of Ferguson, Missouri was based on a lie by an accomplice of Michael Brown. The administration could have said it was bullshit, but kept silent. Subsequently you had demonstrations in New York, the Freddy Gray show in Philadelphia and "fuck the police" movement at the Chicago Teacher's Day of Action a few weeks back. Its hard for me to imagine anyone with the 18K plus to go to St. Ignatius feeling oppressed or discriminated against.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5/15/2016

    Upbringing. I tend to think anyone under 18 is still "innocent," a blank slate.

    See how they drive? Very arrogantly. Do not let it get under your skin. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5/15/2016

    WTF? Why would you hold a door open for that species? Dont you know by now they hate YT and do not appreciate anything?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5/17/2016

    Today's Tribune has an article about the Sheriff addressing the Oak Park-River Forest Chamber of Commerce. A photo accompanies the article, showing Dart speaking. He got all dressed up for the occasion, wearing a fleece pullover. He's still whining about the jail inmates, who he refers to as "the guys". What a goof.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have said thank and so would my kids. People of all races are rude wen it comes to politeness and common courtesy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have said thank and so would my kids. People of all races are rude wen it comes to politeness and common courtesy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5/21/2016

    SIR, YOU SHOULD OF PICKED UP THE AFRICAN AMERICANS CHECK TO SHOW THAT YOU ARE AWARE OF THE RACISM SHOWED TO THEIR PPL OVER THE YEARS,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, the other day I was over at the Menard's. I was purchasing one item. The black man in front of me had about twenty items. He took a look at me and said, "Why don't you go ahead of me?" I guess by that measure -- the same kind of absurd measure the contributor of the article above used -- all black men let white people go ahead of them at the cashier line if you have less items than they do. Mike Ditka for alderman.

    ReplyDelete