Thursday, January 6, 2011

Good idea from a reader.



Hey Murph,
    I have been reading the blog for a while now, and in the past couple days have got to thinking about what I would enjoy in the community.  I figured I would run this past you, since you may have some insight, or whatever it is that I am looking for.  Ok, so what I was thinking of seeing if it would be possible to get a WinterFest type of deal in Mt. Greenwood Park.  All profits going to the organizations that takes care of fallen police officers and firefighters families.  I think this would be an awesome idea, (I havent thought of everything, just kind of an idea right now). But say charge 20 bucks a head, half of that if you are CPD, or CFD. Get a band, (I would be thinking somewhere in January of 2012) get some concessions set up.  Something that I was thinking also was when you are downtown in Daley Plaza at Christamas Time they have their little "German Town", something along the lines of that.  Get a Large Heated tent, maybe have a giant Texas Hold Em or something along those lines.  Maybe have a bunch of Bars from the area come in and each would represent a theme (German beer, Irish, Polish, etc.)  Have Firehouses throughout the city represent a stand and have some sort of a chili cook off or something.  Like I said, currently  I have been thinking about what would be something that would be fun and a good time for alot of people from the community.  I will list a couple other ideas (since it seems I am already way ahead of myself)
Maybe being able to set up a Curling Event.
I know that Denis Leary does alot for firefighters (possibly contacting him, seeing if he would be willing to support Chicago first respondersfor one night)
Do you think any of this is possible or feasable, and if so where would I even start to get the ball rolling.  This idea has been rolling around in my head and Im not sure if I am currently just thinking way to far into all of this or whethere I should just let the thought slip away.  Get back to me, let me know what you know, and or think.  I know we are also in an election season so at this moment probably would not be the best to get this thing rolling.