Sunday, August 29, 2010

McDonald's


McDonald's Corporation is one of the best run companies in the world. They have an excellent reputation for quality and business practices.  It pains me when I think that the McDonald's on the corner of 103rd and Kedzie Ave. is the most screwed up restaurant in the McDonald's system. The staff is composed entirely of gangbangers from other neighborhoods who have problems with basic politeness and the English language. Why are all the employees black? Why do all of the birthday parties held there seem to be for black children?

The nearby curbs and sidewalk approaches to the establishment are littered with McDonald's packaging and the landscaping is not maintained.  I am calling upon the McDonald's Corporation to look into the management of this unit and get the place cleaned up. I am asking McDonald's Corporation to look into the possibility that racial discrimination is taking place at this unit in terms of employee hiring and the way they market their birthday parties. I am also asking the alderman's office to have the restaurant cited for failure to maintain the landscaping.

Management's approach to running that place is disrespectful to our neighborhood. I think a restaurant that sells carry-outs has an obligation to pick up their discarded wrappings from the surrounding areas on a daily basis. I also think that they have an obligation to try to hire local residents. I think they should start hiring local teenagers from Brother Rice, St. Rita and McAuley to work there.